Thursday, March 27, 2008

Nica

I just noticed that this blog has WAY too many medical/school-related posts. True, that's where my brain spends 95% of its waking hours, you know, when it's not thinking about coffee, or thin mints, or Britney Spears, or cosmos, or...you get the idea. The point is, I actually care about Other Things. And do Other Things. So...a bit about the beautiful country of Nicaragua.

Almost two years ago I went to Granada and San Juan Del Sur, a town on the Pacific coast. Granada is gorgeous, and it's an old colonial city, with a beautiful main square (whose cathedral is pictured at left) and houses that are colorful and all have holes in the roofs. It's on Lake Nicaragua, the largest lake in Central America. The picture at the end is from the island of Ometepe, which is in Lake Nicaragua. I stayed with a family in Granada, and they were amazing. The family consisted of Goyita, the matriarch, her two daughters, and her oldest daughter's two daughters. They were very warm and welcoming and fed me lots of fried rice and fried cheese with cheese on top (seriously). This is a picture of Goyita, Marta, and Triana:I could write about Nicaragua for pages and pages, but I'll spare you. In short: the people are really friendly, everything is super cheap, they speak highly comprehensible Spanish, and the country is beautiful. I will write more about it some other time, but until then, I leave you with this serene image: (I wish a camera could capture sound and smell.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you are so much more than medical student. That's why I love you.