Friday, April 18, 2008

The only thing I DO have: hypochondriasis

So as I lay in bed the other morning, awoken from sleep by back pain (am I really that old?) and sweating because of the extreme lack of temperature regulation in the house out here (which rendered the temperature in my room probably 85 degrees), all I could think about was that I would be dead of meningitis by the time the sun came up. I had pain on extension and flexion of my neck, fever and chills, and as soon as there was light there was no question I would also have photophobia. Obviously it's Sunday evening and I'm very much alive and meningitis-free. Which lead me to think of all the other horrible diseases I thought I've had at one point or another since med school started. Things like Hodgkin's lymphoma, rheumatoid arthritis, appendicitis (x5), congenital malrotation (it's not even physiologically possible for me to have this), and of course leukemia (every time I'm feeling run down...which has been a lot over the last couple years). And yet I make fun of my mother for thinking that a small lump on her lower left abdomen is pancreatic cancer (Me: "Do you know where your pancreas is?" Mom: "No, not really." Me: God, what else do you worry about? Mom: [long pause] "Well, I worry that all the gin in the world will dry up"). Though I'm not entirely sure I deserve a DSM diagnosis of hypochondriasis, because I rarely if ever actually go to the doctor. The only medical professional I go to repeatedly is my dentist (dentist: "It's not a cracked tooth. You're a hypochondriac because you're in med school") because he is rather good looking (read: totally hot). Other than that I just stew about it in my own head (hmmm...let's add 'anxiety disorder' to that list...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anxiety disorder should be a medical diagnosis and not a psychiatric one, especially during third year of medical school. We should get sick days every time we feel anxious and/or hypochondriac (which means I'd miss a good portion of third year).