Thursday, May 29, 2008

Whither must I wander

My dad spoke at his high school's candlelight ceremony yesterday (kind of like graduation, but more introspective and less celebratory), and his speech (which was awesome, in my unbiased opinion) focused on a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson, which I really liked. I think I've been drawn to literature/songs/themes of wandering lately, as I have recently become nomadic (seriously, it takes a minute in the morning to figure out where I'm waking up). So anyway, here it is (the poem, not the speech):

Home no more home to me, whither must I wander?
Hunger my driver, I go where I must
Cold blows the winter wind over hill and heather
Thick drives the rain and my roof is in the dust.
Loved of wise men was the shade of my roof-tree
The true word of welcome was spoken in the door
Dear days of old with the faces in the firelight
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.

Home was home then, my dear, full of kindly faces
Home was home then, my dear, happy for the child.
Fire and the windows bright glittered on the moorland
Song, tuneful song, built a palace in the wild.
Now when day dawns on the brow of the moorland,
Lone stands the house, and the chimney-stone is cold.
Lone let it stand, now the friends are all departed
The kind hearts, the true hearts, that loved the place of old.

Spring shall come, come again, calling up the moorfowl
Spring shall bring the sun and the rain, bring the bees and flowers
Red shall the heather bloom over hill and valley
Soft flow the stream through the even-flowing hours.
Fair the day shine as it shone on my childhood
Fair shine the day on the house with open door
Birds come and cry there and twitter in the chimney
But I go forever and come again no more.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz! I like this poem. Happy summer!