Sunday, May 10, 2009

Buggin' out

So I've been sitting here for about 45 minutes, trying to be ok with the ants.  Because it's Sunday, the research lab where we use the wireless is locked, which is how I find myself sitting on the back walkway using the computer, and trying to be ok with the ants.  They are everywhere.  They're not the little annoying ones that walk in organized lines by the billion (I can't even describe this, it's so amazing, I'll try to take a picture), they're the bigger black ones.  They keep trying to invade my space.  I keep shooing them away with (HAR) my shoe.  If they get too close I brush them off the balcony to the grass below.  I haven't killed one yet, though I think one or two haven't made it off the balcony injury-free.  There are too many to try to kill them all anyway, and I think killing animals on the grounds of the Schweitzer hospital is kind frowned upon by Schweitzer himself wherever he is.  You know, Reverence for Life and all that.  Then I decided to scoot up a bit and give them a little path behind me, so they could still hug the wall and get from one side of me to another (I was leaning against the wall), and I think we've worked out a mutually beneficial situation.  I don't have to spend half my time brushing ants away, and they can still go about getting breakfast, or going to ant church, or whatever it is they do on Sunday morning.  Letting them mill about so close to me is doing nothing for my near-constant feeling that bugs are crawling on me though.  Then I think I'm just paranoid or crazy, but then end up with zillions of bug bites all over (and in clothing-covered places).   I have even found spiders biting me.  Spiders.    I should just stop trying to fight the bugs.  There are way more of them anyway, and they can't kill me.  I'm going to try to be more zen about them, and just live and let live.  I'm probably scarier to them they they are to me, right?  I'll just keep putting hydrocortisone on giant itchy red spots and tuck my mosquito netting in real tight at night.  

No comments: