Friday, October 10, 2008

updates, pics, and whatnot

Hi friends & family,
Hope everyone is doing well up in the chilly(?) northeast. Just wanted to post to check in. No particularly new or exciting things have been happening here. I have a surprise day off, since we were supposed to go away for three days, but something happened with the car (information relayed over the phone in Spanish...never a recipe for thorough understanding) so we're not leaving till tomorrow. So I find myself lounging around the house, playing the guitar, reading the nytimes.com....essentially exactly what I would be doing if I were home. With the exception of going out somewhere, cause I live in a locked, gated community and there's nowhere to go except around the small neighborhood. Which I did (pics included).
Other than that, not too much happening. I've been enjoying the hospital (it's called the Hospital Nacional de Amatitlan), and have been amusing myself by comparing it to American hospitals I've been in. 1, at home you don't have to bring your own toilet paper. 2, our sterile scrubs aren't see-though (literally and seriously). 3, men and women have separate OR changing areas. 4, patients in the ER have some semblance of privacy, and don't have, you know, foleys placed in front of a dozen other people. One similarity: there are drug reps (complete with expensive suits and trinkets to give out).
I've also been keeping up on politics (the debates are shown here in English, and it's in the paper every day) and fighting people about why Obama is better than McCain (somewhat difficult in Spanish). I live in a house of Democrats, but the extended family is Republican (two people actually high-fived about McCain the other night at dinner...and a piece of my soul died), partly because they seem to all be evangelical Christians. Which is a somewhat, uh, interesting situation to find myself in. I was actually in the backseat of the car the other night, and we stopped short, and a Bible came flying off the back shelf and hit me. Maybe God is trying to talk to me.
Take care everyone, and step on some crunchy leaves for me. :)

My street
The world outside the walls

No comments: